Friday, November 11, 2005

It's the kids I'd worry about

Forget the bird flu. It's all the little nippers running around that I think we should be worrying about - those critters carry far more dangerous and civilization threatening diseases than anything our avian friends can throw at us!

Dorthe and I went to see Te Waka Nawa perform here on Sunday afternoon. Te Waka Nawa is the local Kapa Haka (Maori cultural performance) group here in Copenhagen, made up of both Kiwi's and their Danish partners. And I have to say, we were both very impressed - it was better than anything I have seen outside NZ, and better than many things I have even seen inside NZ - they were really that good. A very enjoyable afternoon, with lots of classic kiwi cakes for afternoon tea afterwards (yum!)

But, as seems to be the way with all things Danish, there were lots of kids there. LOTS of kids. And one of those little buggers gave me something rather nasty, meaning I spent Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and oh, most of Thursday, at home, in bed, feeling miserable for myself. Grrr.

Things I learnt while I was stuck at home being ill: Fred Flintstone speaks Danish here (and sounds very strange to someone who knows him as speaking with a heavy American accent), Swedish telly has kids programmes in Spanish (I could at least understand them), the two German channels that we get have excitment levels close to that of the tuning signal, watching BBC News for more than two hours in a day gets a little repetitive, and there is far too much soccer on European telly (oh, look, its a team from Lativa playing a team from Bulgaria...)