Friday, November 11, 2005

Xmas List

Every year Mum always pesters me with the perennial question:

What do you want for Xmas?
and every single year, she gets the same answer:
Oh, I dunno.
Things are compounded by the fact that 1. my birthday being so close to Xmas doubles the number of ideas needed and 2. I never really have any ideas. And then just to add to the pressure that bit more, I now have Dorthe's mother asking the same question! Arggggghhh!!!!

So this year, I decided to do something about it. Everytime I happened across something that would be cool, I decided to write it down (or, being the computer geek that I am, put it in a txt file on my USB stick, and include it in my regular Mozilla profile backup...). Thus behold, the official Team Trev Xmas list:

Firstly,

Trev's list:

  • A Toyota Landcruiser

Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Ok, here's my list. Its ordered by where you are going to find it most easily. There's no particular order to any of these - consider them all as having equal weight.

Stuff you can probably get in most places:

  • A Toyota Landcruiser (A boy can dream)
  • Something like this (yup, still a computer geek)
  • The Great War for Civilisation; The Conquest of the Middle East, by Robert Fisk
  • Forty signs of Rain, by Kim Stanley Robinson
  • Innocents Abroad, by Mark Twain
  • Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism, by Robert Pape
  • Factor Four, by Ernst von Weizacker
  • Postcards, by Annie Proulx
  • Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things, by William McDonough
  • 1984, by George Orwell
  • "Babylon Five" Season 1 DVD Boxed set (or subsequent seasons..)
  • Last of the Hunter Gatherers, by Michael Wigan
  • End of the Line, by Charles Clover
  • The Wisdom of Crowds, James Surowiecki
  • Longitude, by Dava Sobel
  • E=mc2, by David Bodanis
  • Membership of Forest and Bird Society, NZ, (http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/)

Stuff you can probably only get in NZ:

  • Great NZ Argument, edited by Russell Brown
  • David Lange's autobiography
  • Moriori, by Micheal King
  • The Penguin History of New Zealand, by Michael King
  • Sleeping Dogs, by Carl Stead
  • Making Peoples, by James Belich
  • Based on a True Story, the new album from Fat Freddy's Drop
  • Seeds of NZ Natives, especially those that can be kept small indoors in Denmark. eg definitely Kohwai, maybe Rata, some of the alpine plants come to mind also
  • Black, Icebreaker shearers singlet
  • Lightweight, packable, waterproof trousers for cycling (eg Macpac Jetstream)
  • Travel bag for a bike (eg Ground Effect's Tardis)
  • Waterproof, breathable, packable lightweight rain jacket (eg from Ground Effect, Macpac or Fairydown)
  • My mountain bike, on THIS side of the world.... (I miss my baby....)

Stuff you can probably only get in Denmark:

  • CSC Cycling jersey
  • Denmark National Cycling Jersey

Lots of books (easy to order online), as you see, but generally lots of choice - that's not to say that you're limited to the list though, either.... :-). I'll add stuff to the list as I go, so check back every now and then.